Body composition refers to the proportion of fat and fat-free mass inside your body. When healthy, your body should have a higher percentage of fat-free mass (i.e. muscle, bones, organs) and lower composition of body fat.
Knowing and understanding your body composition can help you and your doctor determine your overall health. Though you may appear to be a healthy weight, you may have an unhealthy balance within.
Factors leading to an unhealthy body composition:
• Lack of physical activity
• High-fat, high-sugar diet
• Lack of whole foods in the diet (fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, legumes)
• Excessive alcohol intake
Benefits of having a healthy body composition:
• Normal blood pressure level
• Improved sleep quality
• Improved mood
• Increased energy and endurance
• Reduced pain in joints, hips, and lower back
• Improved blood circulation
• Higher fertility rates and lower risk of pregnancy-related complications
• Improved breathing, respiration, and lung function
• Lessened risk of diabetes
Dr Kevin Dolan utilises the SECA medical Body Composition Analyser (mBCA) to analyse your body composition with precision. By breaking down your fat mass, fat-free mass, body water and skeletal muscle mass, the machine is able to give yourself and Dr Dolan valuable information regarding your health. The machine itself has the scientific gold standard in validity, with measures in place to ensure reliable and accurate results every time. In just 20 seconds, the SECA mBCA can provide the best help for the diagnosis of current epidemics such as obesity, diabetes or malnutrition.